3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, grated or minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, medium diced
1 medium rutabaga,peeled and medium diced
Salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ginger,finely grated (1-inch piece)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Lemon zest, minced (one lemon)
Juice of a lemon
(about 3 to 4 tablespoons)
4 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
2 cups water
3/4 cup hulled barley
2 cups chopped cooked turkey
(white or dark meat)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Place barley in a 4-quart saucepan along with six cups of water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 8-qt. soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and 1 teaspoon of salt and saute for another 30 seconds. Add carrots and rutabaga and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add barley and stock and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add turkey and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve hot.