Adapted from Warm Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables, http://www.chowhound.com/recipes
1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed, ½ inch dice
10 medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 large carrot, scrubbed, ½ inch dice
1 medium parsnip, peeled, ½ inch dice
2 small turnips, peeled, ½ inch dice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
Freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1 1/4 cups quinoa, any color or variety
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons combination of rice and white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place the sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, carrot, parsnip, turnip, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet and arrange in an even layer. Set the bowl aside (no need to wipe it out).
- Roast the vegetables, stirring every 5 minutes, until they’re tender and cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa.
- Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan, cover with 2 ½ cups of cold water, season with salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make the dressing.
For the dressing and to assemble:
- Place all of the ingredients except the cilantro in the reserved bowl from the veggies and whisk to combine; set aside.
- When the quinoa is ready, add it to the bowl with the dressing. Add the roasted vegetables and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle with the cilantro (if using) and serve immediately or at room temperature.