1 medium onion, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter or olive oil (or combination of both)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or other cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Saute diced onion in 1 tablespoon of butter or oil until soft, 5 – 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add the cooled onions and parsley.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted (or oil is hot), tilt the skillet to coat it with the fat, and pour the egg mixture into the skillet and lower the heat to medium-low and cook for a minute or so, then give the pan a few shakes to make sure the eggs are loose on the bottom. It they are sticking, loosen them with a thin rubber spatula. Cook eggs until they are set and the top is nearly dry, about 10 minutes.
- Put the frittata 4 to 6 inches under the broiler to finish cooking the top, just a few minutes.
- Remove and invert frittata onto a serving plate.
Variations: Add raw or cooked vegetables, cooked meat, substitute different cheeses or herbs.