2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, small dice
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a wide 4-quart sauce pan, add onions and herbs and saute until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a simmer.
- Let sauce simmer until the flavor is fully developed and sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Run sauce through a food mill, or puree in a blender.
- Taste for salt and season with pepper.
Makes about 2 ½ cups