½ cup long grain brown rice OR 4 oz. whole wheat linguine
4 – 6 cups chicken stock
3 cups pre-cooked chicken (extra from Rotisserie chicken, or oven-baked parts)
1 T olive oil
2 medium carrots, sliced into ½ inch rounds
1 stalk of celery including leaves, sliced
2 T parsley, minced
1 teas. salt
Pepper to taste
- While the stock is simmering, put on the rice. Cook rice in 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. (If using linguine, prepare the vegetables that will be added to the soup first.)
- For the vegetables, heat the olive oil in a 10-inch sauté pan. Add sliced carrots and celery and sauté until slightly softened – not browned. Remove from heat, add minced parsley and set aside until stock is ready.
- Prepare linguine, if using. Bring salted water to a boil, add linguine and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, pasta should be al dente.
- Add sauté vegetables, rice (or linguine) to the strained stock. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat soup over low heat until heated through.